Atlas Corporation
   Home  |  About us  |  Contact
 
 
 

TransHotel






FB СКТМ IATA


Macedonia - Cultural Tourism - Medievel Period
Marko’s Towers (Markovi Kuli)

Marko's Towers (Markovi Kuli) are situated to the north-west Macedonia, in Prilep, Macedonia just above the suburb Varosh. The locality of Marko's towers is located in one of the most picturesque medieval citadels in Macedonia. That is a 120-180 m high hill, surrounded by steep slopes covered with minute granite stones. One can reach the upper part of the former settlement from its north and south side.
During the four-decade archaeological research, remnants indicating the existence of an early antique settlement - Keramija, were found. In the Roman period, this small village settlement expanded into the southwest area, which is suggested by the several marble ornaments of an early Christian basilica. The rampart on this terrain dates from the 13th and 14th centuries and is in good condition. The walls are about one meter thick and were built of weaker limestone mortar and rest upon the large limestone rocks. Internal walls separated the acropolis into smaller areas. The palace of Volkashin and Marko was also situated here. Its north gate has a compound foundation, which speaks of numerous addings and reconstructions of the space. According to some historical findings, until the second part of the 14th century and even later, this fortress was defended by only 40 soldiers. The settlement was situated south of the acropolis on a surface of 3,6 hectares. On its north side, there is a double gate, as well as a large guardhouse between the entrances. On the south wall there are three well-preserved towers. The lowest zone of the rampart consists of a row of short walls drawn in a broken line. In the west side, there are graves inserted into the rock. In the 14th century, this part served as a temporary refuge of the local population from the Turk invasion.

After the death of King Marko, in 1395, this settlement was taken by the Turk guards, and because of that, life in it completely perished. The inhabitants of the former settlement looked for refuge in the near regions. Consequently, at the foot of Marko's towers, a settlement with a rarefied structure developed. It was separated into several quarters and each had its own church. This new settlement from the 14th century took the name of Varosh, a name under which it still exists today.

 

Tsar Samuel's Fortress

In Byzantine times, Ohrid was a large and important city and cultural center. For a short time in the early 11th century, it was also the capital of a Slavic empire ruled by King Samuel. His fortress, situated on the hill in the center of modern-day Ohrid, crowns the city.
Samuel’s fortress consumes the city’s skyline, and was once one of the most impregnable strongholds in the Balkans, with walls 3 km (1.8 m) long and 16 meters (48 feet) high. Today, 18 towers and four gates still remain from the original structure. With its strategic location, overlooking the town and the lake, it provides an ideal place for taking in the whole panorama of Ohrid and its surroundings.

 

Fortress Kale

Kale fortress has the dominant place in Skopje. It was built of stone blocks from the ruins of the city of Scupi, during the rule of the Byzantium Emperor Justinijan the 1st.
The ramparts of the Skopje Kale are 121 meter long and today one square, one rectangular and one round tower is saved. It originates from the 6th century, while its present appearance is from the Ottoman period.
The great complex since 1392 was stationary of the Turkish army until 1913, when Skopje falls under Serbian authority. And in the period from 1913 to 1953 here was settled the Yugoslav army.
Today, within the fortress there is an arranged park, which serves for recreation and fun, and in the evening hours besides the sounds of the Macedonian folk music, the visitors have a wonderful view on the city and the river Vardar from there.

 



 
Copyright ©2009 Atlas Corporation . All rights reserved.
Contact: e-mail: contact@atlas.mk, tel: +38923290600, Address: 27 Mart, 10, Skopje
Visitors: