Atlas Corporation
   Home  |  About us  |  Contact
 
 
 

TransHotel






FB СКТМ IATA


Macedonia - Cultural Tourism - Macedonian Arhitecture From XVIII Century
Shirok Sokak Street

Shirok Sokak Street a pedestrian street lined with nice colorful romantic and neo-classical buildings. It is divided into three parts and even though the first part has the best preserved buildings it is worth walking all the way to the end. The street is very lively and lined with cafes which are excellent for relaxing and people-watching, especially since the girls from Bitola are known as the most beautiful in Macedonia and they love to parade up and down the street dressed in their Sunday best. In the first section there is a Catholic Cathedral. Shirok Sokak ends with the old barracks, where the military academy where Ataturk studied was situated, and which today serve as the city museum. Opposite it stands the ball hall. Across the street as a continuance of Shirok Sokak the City Park stands, where the old Sokolana (physical education building) for the students of the former military academy is situated.

 

NI Institute and Museum

Each of us, even though we endlessly love the future, wants to look into the past and to feel its scent and to hear its sounds.
Every stone in the courtyard of this object, every door that opens in front of us preserves the sounds of the past and those of the future. In its bosom it protects the centuries and the stories about the long existence. It knows all of the stories and unselfishly gives them to anyone that wants to hear them. Today the National Institution “Institute and Museum” - Bitola, is located in one of the most important cultural and historical monuments of Bitola, in the building of the Old Army barracks. The importance and the significance of this object is not only the result of its monumentality, but to the historical past, events and individuals that stayed here.
This place was built in 1848, when Bitola had its biggest development, was built as a Military High School - Idadie. In 1900, this High School became a Military Academy - Harabie, and as such it worked until 1909.
The most important period of the existence of this Military Academy is connected to the period when the cadet Mustafa Kemal Ataturk - the father of Modern Turkey, was educated there. The adaptation of this building into a Museum started in 1983. It represents a real treasure where the most valuable cultural and historical treasures from the region are kept, preserved and presented. Thousands of exponents from which only a part are exposed, keep the civilization values of different epochs, that way creating the cultural and historical map of the region. The continuous period of existence of different cultures, their symbiosis, continuing prosperity and their diversity enables the presence of such diversity that could rarely be found somewhere else, and in such a small region. The richness of exponents (archaeological, ethnological, historical and others) are only one part through which we become witnesses of our own past. The constant archaeological exhibits where we can trace different historic periods of the region, the City Room, Memorial Room of Khemal Ataturk, as well as the numerous temporary exhibits on various themes, gives the visitors an opportunity to feel the spirit of the past and at least for a moment to steal a piece of the history, that was created by the past generations. But even this moment in the next moment will become history, so this is why it constantly becomes a part of this gathered history, of our gathered existence.

 

Resen Museum

The Resen museum is settled in the Resen castle, which was built in 1908 by Ahmed Niyazi Bey.
It would give you the feeling that you were in France, due to the fact that Ahmed Niyazi Bey was educated in Paris and made this castle in French style. This castle now houses the Resen Museum.
The museum of Resen contains a great collection of archaeological and ethnological finds from the Resen area.

 

National Ohrid Museum - House of Robevci Family

The Robevi family house in Ohrid is one of the most famous architectural monuments in Macedonia.
Robevci house was built in its current state in 1863 - 1864 by Todor Petkov from a village Gari near Debar. Today the house is a protected monument of culture under the Institute for protection of cultural monuments in Ohrid.
The house is a protected cultural monument consisted of 3 floors. In the low part of the house are placed the epigraphical monuments from Ohrid, the county, the worth objects "the Milokas" (found on the road Via Egnatia), the two torsos of the goddess Isis and etc. The archeological objects from the ancient times and the medieval period are placed on the second and the third floor.
In the upper part of the house are presented parts of objects made by the Ohrid carving school, creations of famous artists from Ohrid and the county. In the eastern part of the house are placed objects from the Robevi family.

 

Old Railway Station Skopje

It was built in 1938, by a Serbian architect. At a time it was the most beautiful train station on the Balkans, until it was demolished by the earthquake in 26.07. 1963. The big clock on the facade stops working in exact time of this tragic moment 05:17 and it still sowing the same time as a remainder of this event. Left ruined, but preserved to keep memories of the past. Today it’s museum of the city of Skopje.

 

Mother Teresa Memorial House

The Mother Teresa Memorial House is dedicated to the humanitarian and Nobel Peace Prizelaureate Mother Teresa and is located in her hometown Skopje, in the Republic of Macedonia. The memorial house was built on the popular Macedonia street in the Centar municipality, on the very location of the once Sacred Heart of Jesus Roman Catholic Church, where Mother Teresa was baptized. In the first three weeks, the memorial house was visited by 12,000 people. The memorial house worth two million euro was opened on 30 January 2009 and is one of Skopje's newest landmarks. The opening was attended by foreign delegations, members of the Roman Catholic Church in Macedonia and Macedonian Orthodox Church. One week prior to the opening, the Macedonian Foreign Minister Antonio Milošoski placed a commemmorative plate at Mother Teresa's grave in Calcutta, India, with the engravement "Token of Gratitude from the Republic of Macedonia and the Fellow-Citizens of Her Native Town Skopje".
The construction of the house began in May 2008. The project was financed by the Government of the Republic of Macedonia and carried out by the Ministry of Culture. It is a modern, transformed version of Mother Teresa's birth house and has a multifunctional, but sacral character. Inside the house, part of her relics are preserved, which have been transferred to Skopje with support of the Roman Catholic Church of Skopje. There is a museum and sculptures of Mother Teresa and the members of her family in realistic appearance. One sculpture shows Mother Teresa as a ten-year old child, sitting on a stone and holding a pigeon in her hands. The house also gives opportunity for cultural manifestations and bears a gallery. The architect of the project is Vangel Bozinovski.

 

Millennium Cross

Millennium Cross is one of the newest symbols of Skopje. It was build during 2002, and finished in August 2002. This Cross was build by Macedonian Orthodox Church in order to celebrate 2000 years of Christianity in the World and on Macedonian soil. It was constructed and placed on the highest point on Vodno Mountain, a place that for centuries was known as place where Cross exists. Most of the time during Ottoman`s rule in Macedonia (14-20 century) there was a small cross on this place, so Turkish and local Macedonians called it "Krstovar" (place where there is a cross).True Orthodox Christians are proud of this Cross. It is a symbol of their faith in God and Christianism.

 



 
Copyright ©2009 Atlas Corporation . All rights reserved.
Contact: e-mail: contact@atlas.mk, tel: +38923290600, Address: 27 Mart, 10, Skopje
Visitors: